The three large format panoramic paintings were commissioned by the shipyard Burgerhout in 1928 by Adolf Bock ( 1890-1968 ) and painted by way of a ‘promotional poster’. The panorama is a composite composition of then existing timber ships manufactured by Burgerhout. Until 1935 the paintings were displayed in the cafeteria of the shipyard. In 1987 they were donated to the Maritime Museum in Rotterdam. These oil paintings on canvas had been rolled up for a long time, with the paint layer on the inside. These inadequate storing conditions have had a detrimental effect on the paintings. All three paintings suffered from local paint loss and deformations caused by folding and creasing. The surface of the paintings was also strongly discoloured by nicotine and dirt. In September 2012 the three paintings were brought to SRAL for treatment.
The complete restoration was carried out in the SRAL studio in the Bonnefantenmuseum where museum visitors were able to follow the treatment live.